Entitled to enter the 2019 competition are newly built facilities as well as expansions, modernizations, rehabilitations or conversions of existing buildings and facilities. The facilities must have been completed and gone into operation between 1 January 2014 and 31 December 2018. Temporary venue infrastructure/architecture (e.g. demountable or relocatable infrastructure for major sport events) may also be entered in the competition.
The designers/architects and owners (or operators) of facilities are eligible to enter. The entry must be jointly submitted by the designer/architect and the owner (or operator) of the facility.
The IAKS is entitled to disqualify any submission which does not confirm to the mandatory requirements for the competiiton.
The jury shall adjudicate on the basis of the following principal criteria:
Architectural and technical aspects:
- Integration in the urban environment or into the landscape
- Design concept and its quality
- Imagination and innovation, technical features
- Legacy concept
- Ecological sustainability (significant innovations, environmental design)
- Economical sustainability (operational/management concept)
- Social/community aspects (socially meaningful legacy for all members of a community)
- Support of health and well-being
- Accessibility and universal design / inclusive features for the widest possible range of users
In its adjudication, the jury will take the differing economic and social conditions at the various locations into consideration.